Baroness Hedwig of Sierstorpff-Driburg
|Baroness Hedwig of Sierstorpff-Driburg|
22 November 1848|
Münster, Kingdom of Prussia
10 January 1900 51) (aged|
Hanover, Kingdom of Prussia
|Spouse||Baron Aschwin of Sierstorpff-Cramm|
Hedwig, Countess Wilhelm of Oeynhausen-Sierstorpff|
Princess Armgard of Lippe-Biesterfeld
|Father||Count Ernst of Sierstorpff-Driburg|
|Mother||Baroness Karoline of Vincke|
Baroness Hedwig of Sierstorpff-Driburg (German: Freiin Sophia Bernardina Luise Friederika Hedwig von Sierstorpf-Driburg; 22 November 1848 – 10 January 1900) was the maternal grandmother of Prince Bernhard of Lippe-Biesterfeld, Prince consort of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands.
Early life and family
Hedwig was born at Münster, Kingdom of Prussia, German Empire (now in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany), third child and first daughter of Count Ernst of Sierstorpff-Driburg (1813–1855), and his wife, Baroness Karoline of Vincke (1822–1870). She was the heiress of an old Westphalian noble family, especially around Bad Driburg and owned various estates.
Her grandfather Count Heinrich of Sierstorpff-Driburg, made through the Driburg medicinal springs a spa and was active in the perfume industry. The descendants of Hedwig still manage the spa town of Bad Driburg, now a collection of hotels and clinics with more than 1000 employees.
They had four daughters:
- Hedwig (10 January 1874 – 21 January 1907), married in 1896 to Count Wilhelm von Oeynhausen-Sierstorpff, had issue. Their son and daughter-in-law Count Rabe & Countess Margarethe von Oeynhausen-Sierstorpff were guests at the 1937 wedding of Juliana of the Netherlands to their cousin Prince Bernhard of Lippe-Biesterfeld and their young children Count Caspar and Countess Svea were bridal attendants.
- Wanda (9 August 1879 – 1960), married in 1900 to Max von Krieger, had issue.
- Erika (1880–1915), married to Caspar von der Marwitz, had issue.
- Armgard (18 December 1883 – 27 April 1971), married in 1905 to Count Bodo von Oeynhausen, divorced in 1908, no issue; Married secondly in 1909 to Prince Bernhard of Lippe-Biesterfeld, had issue.
In 1881, her husband added her last name (Sierstorpff) to his own.
|Ancestors of Baroness Hedwig of Sierstorpff-Driburg|
Notes and sources
- Genealogics - Freiin Hedwig von Sierstorpf-Driburg
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstliche Häuser, Reference: 1964 548