Barnaby Fitzpatrick, 1st Baron Upper Ossory
|Sir Barnaby Fitzpatrick|
|1st Baron Upper Ossory|
|Children||Barnaby Fitzpatrick, 2nd Baron Upper Ossory, Florence Fitzpatrick, 3rd Baron Upper Ossory|
Barnaby Fitzpatrick (born Irish: Brían Óg Mac Giolla Phádraig) (c.1485–1575) was the last person to have claim to the kingship of Osraige; forfeiting his ancestral title in favor of being created the first Lord Baron Upper Ossory by King Henry VIII of England, by patent dated 11 June 1541, as part of the King's policy of Surrender and regrant. Barnaby Fitzpatrick was subsequently knighted on 1 July 1543.
Brían Óg, finding his brother an embarrassment and a hindrance to his ambitions of becoming an English Baron, gave up his brother to the Butlers and the Butlers acted out their cruel revenge on him. That being done, Brían, in 1537, submitted to the English king and gave up all his ancient rights. Unfortunately for his kinsmen, he gave up all the rights of his kinsmen as well "who of course were not consulted as to this act of treachery towards them." So in 1541, Brían Óg became Brian ( Barnaby ) Fitz-Patrick, the First Baron of Upper Ossory at Castletown, and married Margaret Butler, daughter of Piers Butler, 8th Earl of Ormond, the Lord Deputy of Ireland. In this year, with Brian's submission, "chieftaincy merged into the landlord, and the clansman became mere rent-payers or tenants on their ancestral territories forever".
- Barnaby (c. 1533-1581), his successor and second Baron, was invited to study in London with the boy-king Edward VI, who developed a deep affection for him.
- Florence, who succeeded to Upper Ossory on the death of his brother.
- Grainne who was married to her first cousin, Edmund Butler, 2nd Viscount Mountgarret.
In 2002, researchers Ronan Fitzpatrick and Steve Zalewski published a book containing a list of all known descendants of Barnaby Fitz-Patrick, 1st Baron Upper Ossory; revised edition published in 2013.
- Fitzpatrick 2007, p. 1.
- Carrigan 1905, p. 81.
- From Mac Giolla Phádraig to Fitz-Patrick
- Cokayne 1898, p. 8.
- Carrigan 1905, p. 82.
- Dunlop 1889, p. 190.
- Dunlop 1889, p. 191.
- Cokayne, George Edward (1898). Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct, or Dormant. London: George Bell & Sons.
- Carrigan, William (1905). The History and Antiquities of the Diocese of Ossory. 1. Dublin: Sealy, Bryers & Walker.
- Dunlop, Robert (1889). "Fitzpatrick, Barnaby". In Stephen, Leslie. Dictionary of National Biography. 19. London: Smith, Elder & Co. pp. 190–191.
- Fitzpatrick, Ronan (24 July 2007). "Fitzpatrick Arms, Crests, Mottos and Supporters" (PDF). Fitzpatrick Clan Society (fitzsoc.com). Retrieved 13 November 2010.
- The Fitzpatrick - Mac Giolla Phádraig Clan Society
- Descendants of Bryan Fitzpatrick, Lord and First Baron of Upper Ossory by Ronan Fitzpatrick and Steve Zalewski
|Peerage of Ireland|
|New creation||Baron Upper Ossory
11 Jun 1541–1575
| Succeeded by|
Barnaby Fitzpatrick, 2nd Baron Upper Ossory