Ballyhaunis railway station
Republic of Ireland
|Coordinates||53°45′42″N 8°45′31″W / 53.761631°N 8.758509°WCoordinates: 53°45′42″N 8°45′31″W / 53.761631°N 8.758509°W|
|Owned by||Iarnród Éireann|
|Operated by||Iarnród Éireann|
The station is on the Dublin to Westport Rail service. Passengers to or from Galway travel to Athlone and change trains. Passengers to or from Ballina and Foxford travel to Manulla Junction and change trains.
The station opened on 1 October 1861 (although some sources list 9 September 1861) and its 150th anniversary was celebrated in 2011 by a Ballyhaunis Railway Station-themed edition of the local annual Annagh Magazine.
Passenger traffic through the station increased notably in the form of pilgrims following the claim in 1879 that there had been an apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Saint Joseph, Saint John the Evangelist and Jesus Christ (as the Lamb of God) in the nearby town of Knock.
- "Timetables". Irish Rail.
- "Ballyhaunis station" (PDF). Railscot - Irish Railways. Archived (PDF) from the original on 26 September 2007. Retrieved 6 September 2007.
- Johnson's Atlas & Gazetteer of the railways of Ireland.
- "Annagh Magazine". Ballyhaunis Life. Archived from the original on 26 April 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- "A Very Short History of Ballyhaunis and District" (PDF). Annagh Magazine. 2008.