Ballyglunin railway station
|Line(s)||Limerick to Claremorris|
The station is on the line from Limerick to Claremorris, and was originally opened in 1860 by the Waterford, Limerick and Western Railway. Operation was transferred to the Great Southern and Western Railway when it purchased the WLWR in 1901. The station was used during the filming of the film The Quiet Man starring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara in 1952. As part of the rationalisation of the rail network by Córas Iompair Éireann in the 1960s and 1970s, the station was closed along with the rest of the line for passenger services in 1976.
Under the Irish Government's Transport 21 plan, the Limerick-Claremorris line is to be re-opened under the name Western Railway Corridor. The re-opening is intended to occur in three stages. The first section between Limerick and Athenry opened in 2010. The second stage will restore the section between Athenry and Tuam, with Ballyglunin as an intermediate stop.
Due to financial constraints in public finances the section is indefinitely postponed but Irish Rail's Rail Vision 2030 report recommends Galway-Tuam to be a priority for review when finances become available.