Ballyboden Wanderers GAA
|Na Fánaithe, Baile Baodáin|
|Colours:||Black and Red|
|Grounds:||Frank Kelly Park, Mount Venus Road|
|Coordinates:||53°15′38.53″N 6°18′09.75″W / 53.2607028°N 6.3027083°WCoordinates: 53°15′38.53″N 6°18′09.75″W / 53.2607028°N 6.3027083°W|
Ballyboden Wanderers G.A.A. Club was founded in 1910. They played their first match against Clanna Gael Fontenoys in April 1910. The match was played by permission of Padraig Mac Piarais in the grounds of Scoil Eanna, Grange Road Rathfarnham. The club won the inaugural Dublin Junior Football Championship in 1928.
The club disbanded in 1932 and while there some fixtures played in the intervening years, it was not officially reformed until 1961. After winning the Dublin Junior Football Championship in 1968, under the captaincy of Seán Doherty, the Ballyboden Club amalgamated with Rathfarnham St. Enda's in order to join the senior ranks under the name Ballyboden St. Enda's
In 1980, a group of breakaway members formed Wanderers. Since then, the club has gone from strength to strength, now fielding 4 very successful football teams, catering for anyone between the ages of 8 and adulthood. The club boasts 8 acres (32,000 m2) of ground incorporating two playing pitches, and a training area at the panoramic Frank Kelly Park, which was officially opened by former Dublin County Secretary, Mr. Jim King (R.I.P.) in 1991.
Major Events In The Club's History
The opening of Frank Kelly Park in 1991 was a milestone in the club's development. It was also significant because it occurred while our eminent Club President Frank Kelly was still alive, making our grounds the first to be dedicated in tribute to a living member of the association, though in breach of the official GAA Rules.
Frank had given a lifetime of service to the club. He died in 1995.
The turning of the first sod of their new clubhouse development, which was performed by Minister Tom Kitt in March 1998, heralded a new era for the club. The clubhouse was officially opened early in 1999.
In 2006 Wanderers opened the latest phase of their development. This included a meeting room and a weights room.
Another major event took place on 29 October 2011 when a group of U-7's took part in the club's first ever Hurling training session in preparation for entering an U-8 league in 2012.
Frank Kelly was the father of Wanderers. He was held in such high esteem by all of the members, that the grounds were named after him. Frank was noted for his kindness and thoughtfulness, and used to provide all members with home grown shamrocks for St. Patrick's Day.
Sean Doherty who is now a club trustee is perhaps our most famous member. Having captained us to Junior Championship victory in 1968, Sean later captained Heffo's Army to two All-Ireland Senior Football Championships. He now owns a bar and restaurant adjacent to our grounds at Rockbrook, Rathfarnham. Many G.A.A. members visit the hostelry, which displays many relics and memorabilia from the decade of the Dubs.
Jim Mannion our former club chairman played inter-county senior football for his native Galway, and was a member of the all-conquering Dunmore McHales club before he won a Dublin Junior Championship with Ballyboden Wanderers in 1968. Jim is currently club treasurer.
Jim Kearns who is a nephew of Frank Kelly, has been synonymous with our club since 1961. He was a member of the executive committee all his life and has worked tirelessly as secretary for many years. Jim was club treasurer at the time of his death in September 2006
The club has a distinctive black jersey with a red band, black shorts and black socks with red and white trimmings. The club's alternative jersey is red with a black band. The club tracksuit is black with red and white trimmings.
The new crest features the Whitechurch Carnegie Library at Taylor's Lane. The Library was built in 1910 and has been synonymous with the club ever since. Generations of Wanderers players have assembled outside the library before matches, while the club committee has met there every Thursday for many years prior to the opening of our oun clubhouse. Many club social events including card-playing, Irish-dancing and quizzes have also been hosted there. The Hell Fire Club at the summit of Mount Pelier is in the backdrop, while the blue coloured foreground symbolises the Owendoher and Little Dargle River which are boundaries of the Ballyboden parish. The triangular shape of the crest is significant as it symbolises a modern club built on strong foundations, embracing all sections of the local community and striving for the summit of Dublin Football. It mirrors the G.A.A. Coaching Emblem, which is considered a high priority in the club. And of course triangles are very prominent in the elevation of the Carnegie Library and the club's new social centre at Frank Kelly Park.
The vast majority of the club's 600 members were born or reside in Ballyboden, which is a large parish at the foothills of the Dublin mountains. All of the club's juvenile players attend the local primary and secondary schools. While the club has concentrated mainly on the promotion of gaelic football, with considerable success at juvenile level, members are also involved in many social and cultural activities, as the club has become a focal point for the community.
Location and Buildings
The club's headquarters are at Frank Kelly Park, Mount Venus Road, Rockbrook, Rathfarnham, Dublin 16. There are two playing pitches, a training ground, and a new 250 square metre clubhouse.
The club also use pitches at Scoil Mhuire school, Ballyboden.
- Junior A men's Football
- Junior B men's Football.
- Junior ladies Football.
- U8s boys / girls (Football and Hurling)
- U9s boys / girls (Football and Hurling)
- U12* boys (Football and Hurling)
- U14* boys (Football and Hurling)
(* U12 and U14 teams compete as Pine Forest Gaels - a combined team with Stars of Erin)
Roll of honour
- Dublin Junior Football Championships: 2
- 1928, 1968
- Dublin Junior B Championship runner-up
- Dublin Conlon cup 4
- 1967, 1999, 2002, 2011
- Dublin AFL Div 6
- Dublin AFL Div 7
- Dublin div 10 south (section)
- Dublin AFL Div 11
- Dublin AFL DIV 12
- Dublin Ladies Junior E Football Championship: 1
Famous past players
|Dublin Junior Champions
1967 - 1968
| Succeeded by|
|Dublin Junior Champions
1927 - 1928
| Succeeded by|