|Coordinates||37°52′23″S 144°59′35″E / 37.873°S 144.993°ECoordinates: 37°52′23″S 144°59′35″E / 37.873°S 144.993°E|
|• Density||6,700/km2 (17,400/sq mi)|
|Area||0.8 km2 (0.3 sq mi)|
|Location||7 km (4 mi) from Melbourne|
|LGA(s)||City of Port Phillip|
|Federal Division(s)||Melbourne Ports|
Balaclava is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 7 km south from Melbourne's Central Business District. Its local government area is the City of Port Phillip. At the 2011 Census, Balaclava had a population of 5,383.
Balaclava is located in the south-east of the city, in the St Kilda East area and is bounded by Inkerman Street to the north, Chapel Street to the west, Hotham Street to the east and Oak Grove and Los Angeles Court to the south. In terms of its cadastral division, Balaclava is in the parish of Prahran, within the County of Bourke
Balaclava is home to much of Melbourne's Orthodox Jewish Community, consisting of both Hasidim and non-Hasidim (Mitnagdim or Yeshivish) Jews. Within its confines are a number of kosher restaurants and shops that cater to the local and broader Melbourne Haredi communities.
Many streets in Balaclava and its vicinity are named after Crimean War battles; e.g., the Battle of Balaclava (Balaclava Road), the Battle of Inkerman (Inkerman Road), the Siege of Sevastopol (Sebastopol Street), the Battle of the Alma River (Alma Road), the Battle of the Great Redan (Redan Street) and the Battle of Malakoff (Malakoff Street).
One street, Crimea Street, is named after the war itself.
Other streets in the district are named after people connected with the Crimean War; e.g., Lord Raglan (Raglan Street), Lord Cardigan (Cardigan Street), Florence Nightingale (Nightingale Street), François Certain Canrobert (Canrobert Street) and Lord Lucan (Lucan Street).
- Caulfield Campus of Caulfield Grammar School – the suburb's largest school.
- St Colman's School Hall, Carlisle Street (1938–39) – designed to complement the church next door (now CBC St Kilda's Yr 9 Campus, previously King David School's Carlisle campus and St Kevin's College Waterford Campus).
Lady of St Kilda mural, Carlisle Street
Main shopping strip, Carlisle Street
St Colman's School Hall, Carlisle Street
Late 1870s terrace housing in Inkerman Street
Combinations of Victorian terraces and late Edwardian duplexes and a variety of subtropical palms
Places of worship
Many of the church buildings in Balaclava are historic and heritage registered and form various religious precincts. Historic church buildings include:
- St Colman's Catholic Church, Carlisle Street (1913, designed by Watts' Sons).
- St George's Presbyterian Church, Chapel Street. Built in 1877–80 to the design of Albert Purchas. Listed on the Victorian Heritage Register.
- Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Chapel Street. Designed by Joseph Reed and built in 1878, the building is Victorian Heritage listed.<http://www.holytrinitybalaclava.com.au>
- Former Balaclava Corps Hall.
St Colman's Catholic Church, Carlisle Street. Twin decorative towers were removed in the 1960s.
Balaclava is served by several forms of public transport.
Hotham Street operates as a major busway.
- City of St Kilda – A former local government area of which Balaclava was a part.
- Monash University – Australian Places
- City of Port Phillip Heritage Register
- Balaclava/East St Kilda Council overview