Originally, Avernakø was two separate islands, "Korshavn" and "Avernak". In 1937 the two islands were connected by a dam named "Drejet" ("The Turn"), due to its peculiar shape.
Main occupations are agriculture and tourism. Children attend the school at nearby island Lyø.
- Island website (in Danish)
- Short information about the island
- Location of Avernakø
- Avernako harbor website