|Municipality and town|
Municipality location in Jalisco
Location in Mexico
|Coordinates: 19°46′N 104°22′W / 19.767°N 104.367°WCoordinates: 19°46′N 104°22′W / 19.767°N 104.367°W|
|• Total||962.9 km2 (371.8 sq mi)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Autlán de Navarro is a city and its surrounding municipality of the same name in the Costa Sur region of the southwestern part of the state of Jalisco in Mexico. At the Mexican census of 2005, the city had a population of 53,269 inhabitants. The municipality has a surface area of 962.9 km² (371.78 sq mi). A recent mayor was Fernando Morán Guzmán (2010-2012).The current mayor is Fabricio Israel Corona Vizcarra (2015-2018).
The name comes from the Nahuatl language, Aotli (water way, water channel or water ditch) and Tlan (place of or near) and means "next to the water ditch."
Notable natives and residents
- Juan Corona, serial killer
- Carlos Santana and his brother Jorge Santana, musicians
- Efren Montano-Plascencia, President of "Los Barritos"
- Miguel Vazquez The greatest trapeze artist of all times
- Link to tables of population data from Census of 2005 INEGI: Instituto Nacional de Estadística, Geografía e Informática
- Jalisco Enciclopedia de los Municipios de México