Australian Public Service Commission
|Statutory agency overview|
|Preceding Statutory agency||
|Jurisdiction||Commonwealth of Australia|
|Headquarters||16 Furzer Street, Phillip, Canberra, ACT|
|Annual budget||A$23 million (2008–2009)|
|Statutory agency executives||
|Parent Statutory agency||Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet|
The Australian Public Service Commission is a statutory agency of the Australian Government that acts to ensure future capability and sustainability within the approximately 160,000 people (or 0.8 per cent of the Australian workforce) that comprise the Australian Public Service.
The Commission was established pursuant to the Public Service Act, 1999 (Cth) and is led by the Australian Public Service Commissioner, currently John Lloyd PSM and the Merit Protection Commissioner, currently Annwyn Godwin. Both Commissioners work closely with the Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for the Public Service, currently Senator the Hon. Michaelia Cash, to achieve the Government's objectives.
The vision of the Commission is to lead and shape a unified and high-performing Australian Public Service (APS). The Commission is responsible for providing advice to the Government on the APS; providing advice on strategic people management; supporting the implementation of Government policy; contributing to effective APS leadership and evaluating and reporting on the performance of the APS.
- evaluates the extent to which agencies incorporate and uphold the values of the APS
- evaluates the adequacy of systems and procedures in agencies for ensuring compliance with the APS Code of Conduct
- promotes the APS Values and Code of Conduct
- develops, promotes, reviews and evaluates APS employment policies and practices
- facilitates continuous improvement in people management throughout the APS
- coordinates and supports APS-wide training and career development
- contributes to and fosters leadership in the APS
- provides advice and assistance on public service matters to agencies on request
- provides independent external review of actions by the Merit Protection Commissioner.
- "Abbott Ministry" (PDF). Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Commonwealth of Australia. 18 September 2013. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "About the Commission". Australian Public Service Commission. Government of Australia. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- Whelan, James (August 2011). "The State of the Australian Public Service - An alternative report" (PDF). Centre for Policy Development. p. 13. ISSN 1835-0135. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "Australian Public Service Commission". People: public servants. Government of Australia. Archived from the original on 11 November 2013. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- Australian Public Service Commission
- APSC Submission to the Joint Committee of Public Accounts and Audit: Inquiry into the effects of the ongoing efficiency dividend on smaller public sector agencies; 2008.