Auberge d'Allemagne, Birgu
|Berġa ta' Alemanja|
|Status||Destroyed, some inner rooms survive|
|Address||No. 7a–7b, Victory Square|
|Coordinates||35°53′17.2″N 14°31′20.1″E / 35.888111°N 14.522250°ECoordinates: 35°53′17.2″N 14°31′20.1″E / 35.888111°N 14.522250°E|
The auberge was a two-storey building constructed in the traditional Maltese style, and the rear of the building was linked to Auberge d'Angleterre. It had a Maltese-style staircase, with mouldings on the façade.
The langue of Germany moved to a new Auberge d'Allemagne in Valletta in the 1570s. The Birgu auberge was initially used as a private residence, before being converted into a casa bottega. The building was included on the Antiquities List of 1925, together with the other auberges in Birgu.
The auberge was heavily damaged by aerial bombardment during World War II, and only some inner rooms survived the bombing. The site was rebuilt as a four-storey apartment block between 1961 and 1963, incorporating the remains of the auberge into the new building.
The remains were scheduled as a Grade 3 property on 22 December 2009, and they are also listed on the National Inventory of the Cultural Property of the Maltese Islands.
- "Auberge d'Allemagne". Times of Malta. 17 November 2012. Archived from the original on 25 April 2016.
- "Protection of Antiquities Regulations 21st November, 1932 Government Notice 402 of 1932, as Amended by Government Notices 127 of 1935 and 338 of 1939.". Malta Environment and Planning Authority. Archived from the original on 20 April 2016.
- "Auberge d' Allemagne" (PDF). National Inventory of the Cultural Property of the Maltese Islands. 28 December 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2016.