Arkansas–Fort Smith Lions
|Arkansas–Fort Smith Lions|
|University||University of Arkansas – Fort Smith|
|Athletic director||Dustin Smith|
|Location||Fort Smith, AR|
|Basketball arena||Stubblefield Center|
|Baseball stadium||Crowder Field|
Navy Blue and White|
The Arkansas–Fort Smith Lions (also UAFS Lions and UA Fort Smith Lions) are the athletic teams that represent the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith, located in Fort Smith, Arkansas, in NCAA Division II intercollegiate sports. The Lions compete as members of the Heartland Conference for all 10 varsity sports.
In the fall of 2009, UAFS formally entered provisional NCAA Division II status. The “provisional” status was scheduled to be removed in 2010. However, on July 9, 2010, the University's membership application was rejected by the NCAA Division II Membership Committee, which led to the University filing an appeal. On July 8, 2011, the University was granted full NCAA Division II membership. Previously, the University competed in the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA), specifically at the Bi-State Conference of Region II.
List of teams
- National Champions: 1981, 2006
- Region II Champions: 2001, 2002, 2006
- Bi-State Conference Champions: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
- National Champions: 1995
- Region II Champions: 2004, 2005, 2006
- Bi-State Conference Champions: 2003
- Region II Champions: 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006
- Bi-State Conference Champions: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
The volleyball program also holds the distinction of being named an NJCAA Academic All-American Team seven years in a row (1999–2005).
- "NCAA Denies UAFS’ Initial Bid For Active Division II Status"
- "NCAA Grants UAFS Active Member Status". UAFS News. Retrieved July 11, 2011.