Archduke Carl Christian of Austria
|Archduke Carl Christian|
|Archduke and Prince Carl Christian of Austria; Prince Carl Christian of Hungary, Croatia, and Bohemia|
26 August 1954|
Château de Belœil, Belœil, Belgium
|Spouse||Princess Marie Astrid of Luxembourg (m. 1982)|
Archduchess Marie Christine|
|Father||Archduke Carl Ludwig of Austria|
|Mother||Princess Yolande of Ligne|
Archduke Carl Christian of Austria (German: Carl Christian Maria Anna Rudolph Anton Marcus d'Aviano, Erzherzog und Prinz von Österreich, Prinz von Ungarn, Kroatien, und Böhmen) (born 26 August 1954 at Château de Belœil in Belœil, Belgium) is a member of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine and Archduke and Prince of Austria, Prince of Hungary, Croatia, and Bohemia. Carl Christian is the third child and second-youngest son of Archduke Carl Ludwig of Austria and his wife Princess Yolande of Ligne.
|Austrian Imperial Family|
Marriage and issue
Carl Christian married his second cousin Princess Marie Astrid of Luxembourg, eldest child and daughter of Jean, Grand Duke of Luxembourg and his wife Princess Joséphine-Charlotte of Belgium, on 6 February 1982 in Luxembourg. Carl Christian and Marie Astrid have five children and six grandchildren:
- Archduchess Marie Christine Anne Astrid Zita Charlotte of Austria (b. Brussels, 31 July 1983), married on 6 December 2008 in Mechelen, Belgium, to Count Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum (b. Uccle, 20 March 1979). They have three sons:
- Count Léopold Menno Philippe Gabriel François-Xavier Marie Joseph Ghislain de Limburg-Stirum (b. 19 April 2011).
- Count Constantin de Limburg-Stirum (b. 25 October 2013).
- Count "Gabriel" de Limburg-Stirum (b. July 2016)
- Archduke Imre Emanuel Simeon Jean Carl Marcus d'Aviano of Austria (born 8 December 1985) married on 8 September 2012 Kathleen Elizabeth Walker (b. Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 1986) in Washington, D.C.. The couple lives in Luxembourg, where Archduke Imre works for Ernst and Young. They have two daughters:
- Archduke Christoph Henri Alexander Maria Marcus d'Aviano of Austria (b. Geneva, 2 February 1988), who married Adélaïde Marie Béatrice Drapé-Frisch (b. Lilas, 4 September 1989) on 28 December (civil) and 29 December 2012 (religious) in the Basilica of Saint-Epvre, Nancy, France. They have one daughter:
- Archduke Alexander Hector Marie Karl Leopold Marcus d'Aviano of Austria (b. Meyrin, 26 September 1990).
- Archduchess Gabriella Maria Pilar Yolande Joséphine Charlotte of Austria (b. Geneva, 26 March 1994).
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 9 May 1977 - 28 May 1978: His Imperial and Royal Highness Archduke and Prince Carl Christian of Austria, Prince of Hungary, Croatia and Bohemia (Traditional title: Austria legally abolished its nobility and banned noble titles in 1919).
- 29 May 1978 – present: His Serene Highness Prince Carl Christian of Habsburg-Lorraine.
- Luxembourg: Grand Cross of Order of Adolphe of Nassau
- Luxembourg : Commemorative Silver Jubilee Medal of His Royal Highness The Grand Duke Jean (12 November 1989)
|Ancestors of Archduke Carl Christian of Austria|
- Darryl Lundy (1 May 2005). "Karl Christian Erzherzog von Österreich". thePeerage.com. Retrieved 2008-12-06. External link in
- Paul Theroff. "AUSTRIA: House of Habsburg-Lothringen". Paul Theroff's Royal Genealogy Site. Retrieved 2008-12-06.
- Paul Theroff's Royal News of 2008
- Lux-arazzi, Archduke "marries American"
- Tageblatt.lu (German), Photos from the wedding
- "An Archduchess Among Us". Northern Kentucky University.
- de Badts de Cugnac, Chantal. Coutant de Saisseval, Guy. Le Petit Gotha. Nouvelle Imprimerie Laballery, Paris 2002, p. 738-742, 748-749, 756-759 (French) ISBN 2-9507974-3-1
- Royalement Blog, Bal in the early 1980s, Photos of Carl Christian & Nikolaus wearing the Order of Adolphe of Nassau
- Noblesse et Royautés, Guillaume of Luxembourg's wedding : gala dinner, 2012, Photo Archived March 17, 2013, at the Wayback Machine. of Carl Christian & Marie-Astrid