Apple Daily (Taiwan)
Apple Daily (Taiwan) head office
|Founded||2 May 2003|
The Apple Daily (Chinese: 蘋果日報; pinyin: Píngguǒ Rìbào; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Pîn-kó-ji̍t-pò) is a newspaper printed in Taiwan and owned by Hong Kong-based Next Digital. Next Media is based in Hong Kong and also prints the Apple Daily (Hong Kong). The Next Media Group experiments on cartoonifying news with the Next Media Animation, provides animated news stories on scandals and crimes in Hong Kong and Taiwan, as well as on pop culture in other parts of the world.
Apple Daily (Taiwan) first published on 2 May 2003. It is the first newspaper in Taiwan publishes 365 days a year, and it is the only newspaper in Taiwan subject to the circulation audit from Audit Bureau of Circulations (ROC).
2012 sale and anti-monopoly campaigns
In 2012, the Next Media Group withdrew from the Taiwan market and sold its Taiwan operations, including Apple Daily, Sharp Daily, Next Weekly and the Next TV cable network. In November 29, investors including Want Want China Times group president Tsai Shao-chung, Formosa Plastics Group chairman William Wong and Chinatrust Charity Foundation chairman Jeffrey Koo, Jr, signed a contract with the Next Media Group in Macau. Tsai Shao-chung is the son of Tsai Eng-ming, the chair of the Want Want Group. Tsai Eng-ming is known for his controversial comment in an interview with Washington Post, stating that reports about massacre in the Tiananmen Square protest of 1989 were not true. Tsai owns China Times, one of the largest newspapers in Taiwan, and has acquired 60% of the second largest cable TV services on the island. If the Next Media buyout deal were approved by the Taiwan Government, the Want Want Group will control nearly 50% of Taiwan's news media. Fearing that Tsai's pro-Beijing position and the media monopoly would hurt media freedom and democracy, protesters campaign to urge the Taiwan Government cancel the Next Media sale.
- "Taiwan Tabloid Sensation Next Media Re-Creates the News". Wired Magazine. 30 August 2010.
- "關於壹蘋果網絡". 英屬維京群島商壹傳媒互動有限公司. 2008. Archived from the original on 8 May 2010. Retrieved 3 June 2010. 「蘋果日報於2003年5月2日創刊，首創國內報業全年365天出報的紀錄……它也是國內唯一一家接受中華民國發行公信會（Audit Bureau of Circulations，ABC）稽核發行量的報社。」
- "Next Media sale 'threat to Taiwan democracy'". Asia Times. 4 December 2012.
- "Tycoon prods Taiwan closer to China". Washington Post. 21 January 2012.
- "Taiwan: Threat of Media Monopoly and Power Abuse". Global Voices. 30 July 2012.
- "Next Media's Taiwan sale raises fears about media freedom". BBC. 29 November 2012.
- "Protests mar Taiwan hearing on Next Media deal". Taiwan News. 29 November 2012.
- Official website (Chinese)