Apple Creek, Missouri
|Apple Creek, Missouri|
Location of Perry County
|Coordinates: 37°36′46″N 89°45′30″W / 37.61278°N 89.75833°WCoordinates: 37°36′46″N 89°45′30″W / 37.61278°N 89.75833°W|
|Elevation||476 ft (145 m)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||736347|
Apple Creek was named after the nearby stream called Apple Creek. The original French name of the creek was "Riviere à la Pomme" (apple river), named from the apple trees that had grown there. American settlers later translated the name to Apple River or Apple Creek.
Apple Creek was originally known as Schnurbusch, and was named after a prominent family in the area.
In the early 1820s German Catholic immigrants from the Baden area were the first to settle Apple Creek. These immigrants left Europe from the nearest ports, namely Le Havre, France and Antwerp, Belgium, and arrived in Perry County through New Orleans.
The settlement’s first Catholic church named St. Joseph, built in 1828, was used for 12 years; then a second church - called the Rock Church - was constructed. Between 1881-1884 a new brick church was constructed for the St. Joseph parish. A rectory (1904) and convent (1917) were subsequently built as well. Our Lady of Saint Joseph shrine was built in 1857 and incorporates a cave spring with stonework and the via doloroso walkway.
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church
- Findpincode.com: Postal Code Brewer, MO http://findpincode.com/brazeau-missouri-zip-code-postal-code-63737.html
- BÜRCKBÜCHLER Genealogy https://www.sites.google.com/site/burckbuchler2/Lieux/apple-creek--missouri--usa/1-apple-creek-le-nom
- Rome of the West: Parish Apple Creek http://www.romeofthewest.com/2007/12/photos-of-saint-joseph-church-in-apple.html
- BÜRCKBÜCHLER Genealogy: Apple Creek https://www.sites.google.com/site/burckbuchler2/Lieux/apple-creek--missouri--usa/4-apple-creek-l-eglise-saint-joseph-photos
- St. Joseph Parish (1978). "1828-1978 Sesquicentennial History of St. Joseph Parish, Apple Creek, Missouri: "one Hundred and Fifty Years to Service to God and Mankind."".