An Comunn Gàidhealach
Scottish Gaelic language|
An Comunn Gàidhealach ([əŋ ˈkʰomən̪ˠ ˈkɛː.əlˠ̪əx] listen ), literally The Gaelic Association), commonly known as An Comunn is a Scottish organisation that supports and promotes Scottish Gaelic language, its culture and history at local, national and international levels. The society is closely associated with the Mod.
It was founded in Oban in 1891 to help preserve and develop the Gaelic language and to establish the Royal National Mòd (Scottish Gaelic: Am Mòd Nàiseanta Rìoghail), a festival of Gaelic music, arts and culture modelled originally on the National Eisteddfod of Wales. Today An Comunn encourages the teaching, learning and use of the Gaelic language, and the study and cultivation of Gaelic literature, history, music and art.
From 1905 to 1922 An Comunn Gàidhealach published a monthly magazine titled Deò-ghrèine. This was replaced in 1923 by An Gaidheal (literally "The Gael") which ran until 1967, when it was continued by the bilingual newspaper Sruth until 1970.
An Comunn Gàidhealach Ameireaganach
Like its Scottish counterpart, ACGA sponsors a national Mòd, as well as a variety of regional gatherings. The group is well known for its Gaelic language immersion events, and for hosting the ACGA Gaelic Song and Language Week every summer.
The ACGA provides charitable services by way of their Gaidhealtachd Support Grants program, which provides funding 'to organizations and individuals not substantially connected to ACGA for the purpose of advancing the Gaelic language.' Past recipients include Sabhal Mòr Ostaig, the Gaelic college on the Isle of Skye, and Lews Castle College in the Western Isles.
- MacLeod, Murdo; Fiona Stewart (12 October 2002). "Mod 2002 - and 20,000 Gaels blow in for festival of music". The Scotsman. Retrieved 2006-12-19.
- "Gaelic Language Organizations". An Comunn Gàidhealach, Ameireaga. Retrieved 2010-04-06.
- "An deo-gréine : monthly magazine of An Comunn Gaidhealach". Catalogue record. National Library of Scotland. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "An Gaidheal/The Gael : the official magazine of An Comunn Gaidhealach". Catalogue record. National Library of Scotland. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "Sruth". Catalogue record. National Library of Scotland. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- Acar, Frances; Johnson, Amy; Mac Aoidh, Micheal; editors of ANA (Winter 2005-6). "Mòd Naiseanta 2005". An Naidheachd Againne. Denver, Colorado (Vol. XXII, No. 3–4): 1–8. Check date values in:
- "Grants". An Comunn Gàidhealach, Ameireaga. Archived from the original on 2006-09-27. Retrieved 2006-12-24.
- Thompson, Frank (1992). History of An Comunn Gaidhealach: The First Hundred (1891-1991): Centenary of An Comunn Gaidhealach. An Comunn Gaidhealach. ISBN 0905905067.
- Website of An Comunn Gàidhealach
- Website of An Comunn Gàidhealach Ameireaganach
- Website of the Gaelic Society of Inverness, another body with similar aims
- Website of the The Association of Gaelic Choirs
- Volume 1 of Deò-ghrèine