Road from Allinge Harbour
Location on Bornholm
|Coordinates: 55°16′40″N 14°48′5″E / 55.27778°N 14.80139°E|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Prior to Allinge and Sandvig becoming urban areas, people in the bronze age lived there and made rock carvings at Madsebakke. Not all carvings of ships, suns, and footprints have survived, however. Late in the 19th century, many stone masonries flourished in the area and some rock carvings were blown up in the years between 1885 and 1902.
Allinge and Sandvig were two separate towns, the former formed near the natural harbour on the northwestern coast, while Sandvig has been a small fishing village, whose origins can be traced to the Middle Ages, its name derived from a sandy cove on the coast. The port of Allinge dates from 1862, while that of Sandvig from 1831-33.
Allinge Church stands at the centre of Allinge on a hill some 11 metres above sealevel. Initially just a small granite longhouse from the around the 14th century, in 1892 it was completely rebuilt in the Neogothic style.
- "BEF44: Population 1st January, by urban areas" database from Statistics Denmark
- "Danmarks største helleristning". Bornholms Museer. Retrieved 3 February 2013.
- "Ødelagte helleristninger < Alle helleristninger". Bornholms Museer. Retrieved 3 February 2013.
- "Allinge Church", HomeOfOurFathers.com. Retrieved 11 July 2012.
- Otto Norn, C. G. Schultz, Erik Skov, "Allinge Kirke: Bornholms Nørre Herred", Danmarks Kirker, Bornholm, Nationalmuseet, Gad, 1954, pp. 84–94. (Danish)
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Allinge-Sandvig.|