Ali Abdel Aal
|Ali Abdel Aal|
|Speaker of the House of Representatives|
Assumed office |
10 January 2016
|Preceded by||Saad El-Katatni*|
|Born||29 November 1948|
|Political party||For the Love of Egypt|
|* Office vacant from 22 September 2012 to 10 January 2016|
Ali Abdel Aal Sayyed Ahmed (born 29 November 1948) is an Egyptian law professor and politician. He has been Speaker of the House of Representatives since 10 January 2016. As law professor he worked at Ain Shams University and specialized in constitutional law.
Abdel Aal was born on 29 November 1948. He studied law and obtained a degree in 1972. The next year he started working as a deputy to a prosecutor. In 1974 he became a university lecturer. Ten years later he obtained his PhD in State at the University of Paris.
Abdel Aal was cultural attaché in the city of his alma mater from 1987 to 1991. The next year he served as constitutional advisor to the Parliament of Egypt. In 1993 he helped with the drafting of the Constitution of Ethiopia. As a constitional advisor he was employed by the Royal Court of Kuwait between 1993 and 2011. Abdel Aal worked as constitutional law professor at Ain Shams University.
Abdel Aal was one of the constitional experts who worked on the Egyptian Constitution of 2014. In 2015 he was the head of a committee which drafted three new electoral laws.
In the 2015 parliamentary elections Abdel Aal was elected on the For the Love of Egypt list for the Aswan Constituency. He was elected Speaker of the House of Representatives on 10 January 2016. He obtained 401 of 585 votes.
- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 "Meet parliament's new speaker: Ali Abdelaal". Egypt Independent. 11 January 2016. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- 1 2 3 "Implications of Ali Abdel-Aal's Election as Parliament Speaker". RCSS. 20 January 2016. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- ↑ "Constitutional law professor Abdel-Al named Egypt's parliament speaker". Ahram Online. 10 January 2016. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- ↑ "Update: Law Professor Ali Abdel Aal elected parliamentary speaker". Mada Masr. 10 January 2016. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- ↑ "Meet newly-elected speaker of Egypt's parliament Ali Abdel-Al". Ahram Online. 10 January 2016. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
Title last held bySaad El-Katatni
as Speaker of the People's Assembly
|Speaker of the House of Representatives