|Minister Plenipotentiary of Aruba|
Assumed office |
14 November 2013
|Prime Minister||Mike Eman|
|Preceded by||Edwin Abath|
27 January 1965|
Juan Alfonso Boekhoudt (born 27 January 1965) is an Aruban citizen. He has been appointed als the Minister Plenipotentiary of Aruba on 14 November 2013 from outside politics. He succeeded Edwin Abath. Boekhoudt previously served as director of the Aruba Ports Authority. He also served as chair of the Aruba Red Cross.
Appointment as Governor of Aruba
In October 2016, the Council of Ministers of the Kingdom of the Netherlands appointed Boekhoudt as Governor of Aruba per 1 January 2017. He was nominated by Dutch Minister of of the Interior and Kingdom Relations, Ronald Plasterk.
The move drew criticism from the government of Prime Minister Mike Eman, which stated that the rules of the Council of Ministers of the Kingdom regarding gubernatorial appointments had not been followed. With the Aruban cabinet wishing that the appointment was reversed. The Dutch Ministry of the Interior and Kingdom Relations stated that the rules had been followed. The Aruban cabinet had nominated Finance Minister Angel Bermudez for the position.
The Aruban cabinet subsequently withdrew confidence in Boekhoudt, forcing him to resign as Minister Plenipotentiary of Aruba per 1 November 2016. On 18 October the conflict between Eman and Plasterk was settled, with Eman accepting the appointment of Boekhoudt, with the parties jointly declaring that the process was not handled perfectly.
- "J.A. (Alfonso) Boekhoudt" (in Dutch). Parlement.com. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "Alfonso Boekhoudt nieuwe gevolmachtigde minister" (in Dutch). Caribisch Netwerk. 8 November 2013. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "Alfonso Boekhoudt, gevolmachtigde minister in Den Haag" (in Dutch). Aruba Gobierno. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "RMR: Alfonso Boekhoudt nieuwe gouverneur Aruba" (in Dutch). NoticiaCla. 7 October 2016. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- Charlotte Huisman (16 October 2016). "Alfonso Boekhoudt niet gewenst als gouverneur van Aruba" (in Dutch). de Volkskrant. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "Aruba pikt benoeming nieuwe gouverneur niet" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Omroep Stichting. 16 October 2016. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- Sharina Henriquez. "Aruba boos over benoeming en zet toekomstige gouverneur Boekhoudt aan de kant" (in Dutch). Caribisch Netwerk. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "Plasterk en Aruba leggen conflict om gouverneur bij" (in Dutch). NRC Handelsblad. 18 October 2016. Retrieved 18 October 2016.