Alessio Fasano is an Italian medical doctor, pediatric gastroenterologist and researcher. He holds the W. Allan Walker Chair of Pediatrics at Harvard Medical School. Furthermore, he is Vice Chair of Basic, Translational, and Clinical Research and Division Chief of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition at the MassGeneral Hospital for Children in Boston.
After completion of his studies and training as pediatric gastroenterologist at the University of Naples, Fasano joined the University of Maryland in 1993. In 1996, he founded the Center for Celiac Research at the University of Maryland School of Medicine; the center became part of the Massachusetts General Hospital in 2013.
In 2000, the research team of Alessio Fasano discovered zonulin, which regulates the intestinal permeability. In 2003, he published the results of the epidemiological study that demonstrated the prevalence of celiac disease in the U.S. to be far higher than previously thought, at a rate of 1 in 133 persons.
- 2013 Linus Pauling Functional Medicine Award
- 2012 Shwachman Award
- 2011 Student Council Faculty Preclinical Award
- 2011 Influential Marylander in Health Care Award
- 2010 Arnold Silverman, M.D. Lectureship in Pediatric GI, Hepatology, and Nutrition
- 2009 Researcher of the Year Award from the University of Maryland
- 2006 Entrepreneur of the Year Award from the University of Maryland
- 2006 Best Academic/Industry Collaboration Award from the Greater Baltimore Committee
- 2005 finalist for the NIH Director's Pioneer Award
- 2005 Innovator of the Year Award from the State of Maryland
- Alessio Fasano, Susie Flaherty: Gluten Freedom, Wiley, 2014, ISBN 978-1-118-42310-3
- Alessio Fasano (Editor), Riccardo Troncone (Editor), David Branski (Editor): Frontiers in Celiac Disease, S. Karger Publishers, 2008, ISBN 978-3-805-58526-2
- Alessio Fasano: A Clinical Guide to Gluten-Related Disorders Paperback, LWW, 2013, ISBN 978-1-451-18263-7
- Media articles for the general public (selection)
- Alessio Fasano: Make Gluten-Free Food Safe for Patients and Consumers
- Interview by Chris Kesser and Steve Wright: Dr. Alessio Fasano On Celiac, Immune Disorders & Leaky Gut, 24 May 2014, celiac.com
- Interview by Elaine Wattson: The lowdown on celiac disease, gluten sensitivity and celebrity wheat-bashing: In conversation with Dr Alessio Fasano, 29 January 2014 / 27 February 2014, foodnavigator-usa.com
- Chris Kesser. "RHR: Pioneering Researcher Alessio Fasano M.D. on Gluten, Autoimmunity & Leaky Gut". Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- "Alessio Fasano. Zonulin, Gut Permeability, and Antigen trafficking: From Innate Immunity to Autoimmunity" (PDF, 356 kB). I seminari di Biogem.