Photo from Almanacco Cinema 1952 (1951)
13 November 1914|
Vaprio d'Adda, Italy
3 July 2005 90) (aged|
|Spouse(s)||Carla Del Poggio (1945–2005; his death)|
Lattuada was born in Milan, the son of composer Felice Lattuada. He was initially interested in literature, becoming, while still a student, a member of the editorial staff of the antifascist fortnightly "Camminare..." (1932) and part of the artists' group Corrente di Vita (1938). Before entering into the film business, Lattuada's father made him complete his studies as an architect even though he recognized his desire to make movies.
In 1940 he started his cinema career as a screenwriter and assistant director on Mario Soldati's Piccolo mondo antico ("Old-Fashioned World"). In 1943 he directed his first movie, Giacomo l'idealista.
Luci del Varietà (1950), co-directed with Federico Fellini, was the latter's first directorial endeavour. His 1962 film La steppa was entered into the 12th Berlin International Film Festival. In 1970, he was a member of the jury at the 20th Berlin International Film Festival.
Filmography (as director)
- Yes, Madam (1942)
- Giacomo l'idealista (1942)
- La freccia nel fianco (1943) finished by Mario Costa in 1944
- La nostra guerra (1945) documentary
- Il bandito (1946)
- Il delitto di Giovanni Episcopo (1947)
- Senza pietà (Without Pity) (1948)
- Il mulino del Po (1949)
- Luci del Varietà (1950) co-directed with Federico Fellini
- Anna (1951)
- Il Cappotto (1952)
- La lupa (1953)
- L'amore in città, episode Gli italiani si voltano (1953)
- La spiaggia (1954)
- Scuola elementare (1955)
- Guendalina (1957)
- La tempesta (1958)
- I dolci inganni (1960)
- Lettere di una novizia (1960)
- L'imprevisto (1961)
- Mafioso (1962)
- La steppa (1962)
- The Mandrake (1965)
- Matchless (1966)
- Don Giovanni in Sicilia (1967)
- Fräulein Doktor (1968)
- L'amica (1969)
- Venga a prendere il caffè... da noi (1970)
- Bianco, rosso e... (1972)
- Sono stato io (1973)
- Le farò da padre (1974)
- Cuore di cane (1976)
- Oh! Serafina (1976)
- Così come sei (aka Stay As You Are) (1978)
- La cicala (1980)
- Nudo di donna (1981) replaced by Nino Manfredi
- Una spina nel cuore (1986)
- Alessandro Lattuada (18 March 2008). New interviews with the director’s wife, actress Carla Del Poggio (Variety Lights), and son Alessandro Lattuada (DVD) (in Italian). The Criterion Collection.
- "IMDB.com: Awards for La steppa". imdb.com. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- "Berlinale 1970: Juries". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 29 March 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-08.
- Alberto Lattuada at the Internet Movie Database
- "Alberto Lattuada". Find a Grave. Retrieved September 3, 2010.