Alberta Municipal Affairs
Alberta Municipal Affairs is a ministry of the Executive Council of Alberta. Its major responsibilities include assisting municipalities in the provision of local government, administering the assessment of linear property in Alberta, administering a safety system for the construction and maintenance of buildings and equipment, and managing Alberta's network of municipal and library system boards.
The Municipal Affairs ministry was established on December 20, 1911, with the purpose of implementing the new municipal legislation regarding incorporation of towns, villages, rural municipal districts, improvement districts and cities.
- Municipal Government Act
- Local Authorities Election Act
- Emergency Management Act
- Libraries Act
- New Home Buyer Protection Act
- Safety Codes Act
On December 15, 2006, the new ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing was created from Alberta Municipal Affairs and Seniors and Community Supports. Libraries, community and voluntary sector services, previously under the authority of Alberta Community Development, were amalgamated in the new ministry.
On March 12, 2008, Premier Stelmach reverted Municipal Affairs and Housing back to Municipal Affairs by moving the responsibilities over housing and the voluntary sector to the new ministries of Housing and Urban Affairs and Culture and Community Spirit respectively.
Alberta's Ministry of Municipal Affairs includes "Municipal Services and Legislation", "Municipal Assessment and Grants", "Corporate Strategic Services", and "Public Safety". The ministry also has oversight of the Municipal Government Board, the Alberta Emergency Management Agency, and the Special Areas Board.
Municipal Services and Legislation provides support, advice and other assistance in the areas of municipal government, administration and land use planning to Alberta's urban, rural and specialized municipalities. This division is also responsible for municipal inspections, viability reviews, and the Municipal Government Act Review. Branches include Municipal Services and Major Legislative Projects and Strategic Planning.
Municipal Assessment and Grants provides support, advice and other assistance in the areas of property assessment, education property taxes, and municipal grants to Alberta's urban, rural and specialized municipalities. This division is also responsible for the Municipal Sustainability Initiative (MSI) program, Federal Gas Tax program, and assessment of all linear property (e,g. oil/gas wells, pipelines, electric power lines, and telecommunication systems) in Alberta. Branches include Assessment Services and Grants and Education Property Tax.
Corporate Strategic Services provides support, advice and other assistance to other divisions within Municipal Affairs. Corporate Strategic Services is also responsible for the Public Library Services Branch, which provides policy, planning and administrative expertise to public libraries across Alberta.
Public Safety's mandate includes safe buildings, equipment and facilities and emergency response, regulated by the Safety Codes Act. Public Safety comprises Safety Services, the New Home Warranty and the Office of the Fire Commissioner.
Municipal Government Board
The Municipal Government Board is a provincial tribunal in Alberta, Canada. It is established pursuant to the Municipal Government Act. The MGB hears appeals from subdivision applications involving a provincial interest, appeals of linear property assessments, intermunicipal disputes, municipal annexations, and other matters.
- Alberta Municipal Affairs. "Municipal Affairs Annual Report 2015-16" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- Alberta, Government of. "Cabinet changes show focus on economic diversification, supporting job growth | Alberta.ca". www.alberta.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-30.
- Alberta Municipal Affairs. "The Beginnings of Urban and Rural Local Governments in Alberta". Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- "Acts and Regulations". Alberta Municipal Affairs. Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- "Municipal Government Act" (PDF). Alberta's Queen's Printers. Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- "Safety Codes Act" (PDF). Alberta's Queen's Printers. Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- Province of Alberta (2006-12-15). "New cabinet team will focus on listening to Albertans and meeting their priorities, says Premier Stelmach". Retrieved 2010-07-11.
- Province of Alberta (2008-03-12). "Premier Stelmach sets out priorities; names new Cabinet, reorganizes portfolios". Retrieved 2010-07-11.
- "Municipal Services and Legislation". Alberta Municipal Affairs. Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- "Municipal Assessment and Grants". Alberta Municipal Affairs. Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- "Public Library Services". Alberta Municipal Affairs. Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- "Public Safety Division". Alberta Municipal Affairs. Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- Alberta, Government of. "New Home Warranties - Government of Alberta". homewarranty.alberta.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-30.
- Alberta Municipal Affairs, Municipal Government Board Website. Retrieved 2012-06-01.