Albaro is a residential neighbourhood of Genoa, Italy, which covers a wide area on a hill east of the city centre, once the old comune of San Francesco d'Albaro, included in the city of Genoa in 1873.
The boundaries of the neighbourhood are the promenade of Corso Italia, Via Nizza and Via Pozzo on the west side, Corso Gastaldi and Corso Europa on the north side, via Sclopis and via Orlando on the east side.
During the 19th century it was a renowned holiday resort for the Genoese upper class, who lived in the city and during summer used to move to their villas in Albaro.
Buildings and structures
The convent and church of San Francesco d'Albaro is located here. Of the historical houses of Albaro, the most famous are:
- Villa Brignole Sale
- Villa Cambiaso, built by architect Galeazzo Alessi around 1548
- Villa Bagnarello, where Charles Dickens lived between 1843 and 1844
- Villa Saluzzo Bombrini
- Villa Saluzzo Mongiardino, where Lord Byron lived between 1822 and 1823
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Albaro.|