Aiwo District within Nauru
|Coordinates: NR 0°31′48″S 166°54′42″E / 0.53000°S 166.91167°ECoordinates: NR 0°31′48″S 166°54′42″E / 0.53000°S 166.91167°E|
|• Total||1.1 km2 (0.4 sq mi)|
|Elevation||26 m (85 ft)|
It is located in the west of the island. It covers an area of 1.1 square kilometres (0.42 sq mi) and has a population of 1,300. It is sometimes called the unofficial capital city of Nauru, even though Nauru does not have an official capital city, and it is more common for Yaren to be cited as such.
The majority of Nauruan industry is located in Aiwo. Among the facilities in Aiwo are:
- The Aiue Boulevard
- The New Boat Port
- The Chinatown of Nauru
- The OD-N-Aiwo Hotel, one of two hotels in Nauru. Privately owned, it is also the tallest building in Nauru.
- The Linkbelt Oval sports stadium.
- The power house
- The Nauru campus of the University of the South Pacific
- The Nauru Local Government Council chambers and offices
- The Nauru Phosphate Corporation processing facilities and cantilever
Media related to Aiwo at Wikimedia Commons