A Monkey in Winter (film)
|A Monkey in Winter|
|Directed by||Henri Verneuil|
novel A Monkey in Winter|
by Antoine Blondin
|Music by||Michel Magne|
|Edited by||Monique and Françoise Bonnot|
|Box office||2,417,209 admissions (France)|
Albert Quentin is a reformed alcoholic who once swore never to drink again. He has kept this promise to his wife for many years although as the owner of a small hotel he had opportunities galore to break it.
One day a stranger comes to town. He visits Quentin's little hotel because he is about to meet his daughter for the very first time. His name is Gabriel Fouquet and his daughter is already a pupil at the local school. Fouquet, who is obviously nervous about the looming encounter, tries to overcome his insecurity by having some drinks. Quentin, a retired soldier, wants to encourage Fouquet by telling him war stories about bravery. They drink together and undertake a major binge tour.
When Fouquet goes to fetch his daughter, Quentin accompanies him. After Quentin has bid them farewell, the girl still talks about the exotic fairy tale Quentin has told them about monkeys in winter.
- Jean Gabin as Albert Quentin
- Jean-Paul Belmondo as Gabriel Fouquet
- Suzanne Flon as Suzanne Quentin, Albert's wife
- Noël Roquevert as Monsieur Landru, the grocer
- Paul Frankeur as Monsieur Esnault, the café keeper
- Gabrielle Dorziat as Madame Victoria
- Geneviève Fontanel as Marie-Jo
Bosley Crowther of The New York Times wrote that while "nothing great or profound is offered in this whimsey", "this moodily masculine story has a strong strain of wistfulness that laces its robust humor and gives it more than merely comic quality." He applauded the performances of all the main actors.
Un singe en hiver was shot in Villerville. Villerville celebrated the film's 50th anniversary with many events from 30 June to 20 October 2012.
- Box office information for film at Box Office Story
- "A Monkey in Winter". Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- Bosley Crowther (February 1, 1963). "Wistful Humor:Monkey in Winter' Has True Gallic Taste". The New York Times.
- "Bienvenue sur le site de Villerville". Villerville site. Retrieved December 24, 2012.
C'est aussi dans ce village que Henri Verneuil a posé ses cameras pour la réalisation du Film Un Singe en Hiver, il y a 50 ans.In French.
- "Villerville fête les 50 ans du film d'Henri Verneuil "Un singe en hiver"". francetv.fr. Retrieved December 24, 2012. In French.
- A Monkey in Winter at the Internet Movie Database
- A Monkey in Winter at the TCM Movie Database
- A Monkey in Winter at Le Film Guide
- A Monkey in Winter at AllMovie
- Un singe en hiver at Rotten Tomatoes