A Man Named Rocca
|A Man Named Rocca|
|Directed by||Jean Becker|
Adry De Carbuccia |
|Screenplay by||Jean Becker|
|Based on||novel L'Excommunié by José Giovanni|
|Starring||Jean Paul Belmondo|
|Music by||Claude Normand|
|Box office||1,193,387 admissions (France)|
A Man Named Rocca (French: Un nommé La Rocca, Italian: Quello che spara per primo) is a 1961 French-Italian crime-thriller film directed by Jean Becker and starring Jean Paul Belmondo. It is based on the 1968 novel L'Excommunié by José Giovanni. Belmondo appeared in another film version of this novel in 1972, directed by Giovanni, called Bad Luck.
Roberto La Rocca is an ex-gangster who is told by "The Mexican" that his friend Xavier Ad has been imprisoned for a murder he did not commit. He goes to Marseilles to meet Ad's partner Villanova.
Rocca suspect that Villanova is involved in the frame up and seduces his mistress Maud. He shoots and kills Villanova and takes over the gambling club run by Xacier and Villanova.
Rocca falls in love with Ade's sister, Genevieve. Xavier is found guilty and setenced to ten years in prison. When gangsters threaten the club, Rocca shoots them and is sentenced to prison too.
In prison, Rocca and Xavier colunteer to clear land minds. Xavier loses an arm because of this. When they get out, Rocca and Genevieve plan to buy a farm together. However Genevieve is killed in a shoot out cased by Xavier. The friendship between Rocca and Xavier is over.
- Jean-Paul Belmondo as Roberto La Rocca
- Christine Kaufmann as Geneviève Adé
- Pierre Vaneck as Xavier Adé
- Béatrice Altariba as Maud
- Henri Virlogeux as Ficelle
- Mario David as Charlot l'élégant
- Pedro Serano as Migli
- Charles Moulin as Cipriano
- Jean-Pierre Darras as Nevada
- Claude Piéplu as le directeur de la prison
- Michel Constantin as le chef des racketteurs américains
- Frédéric Lambre as Fanfan
- Claude Jaeger as Fernand l’Italien
- Gérard Hernandez as un détenu démineur
- Henri Arius as le chef responsable du cachot de la prison
- Edmond Beauchamp as l'avocat de Xavier
- Jacques Léonard as le joueur qui refuse de partir
- Dominique Zardi as le prisonnier sautant sur une mine
- Leroy Haynes
- Box office information for film at Box Office Story