99 (2009 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Raj and D.K.|
Raj and D.K.|
Soha Ali Khan
Shamir Tandon |
|Edited by||Cheragh Todiwala|
|Distributed by||People Pictures|
99 is a Hindi film directed by Raj and D.K., starring Kunal Khemu, Boman Irani, Soha Ali Khan and Cyrus Broacha. The movie is set in the year 1999, with cricket controversies of that year as the backdrop. It was produced and distributed by "People Pictures", and was released on 15 May 2009.
99 is an original story inspired by real events. It is the story of two men in two cities who are bound by a common feeling of always being stuck at 99. They never seem to make it to a 'century' in life. The plot involves small-time crooks, conspiracies, car crashes, a briefcase full of money and a historical controversy brewing in the background.
The film is set in 1999 and showcases events that happened during that time, mainly revolving around the controversial India-South Africa cricket betting scandal.
- Kunal Khemu as Sachin
- Boman Irani as Rahul
- Soha Ali Khan as Pooja
- Cyrus Broacha as Zaramud
- Simone Singh as Jahnavi
- Mahesh Manjrekar as AGM
- Vinod Khanna as JC
- Sudesh Berry as Sunil Mehta
- Amit Mistry as Kuber
- Pitobash as Sales Man
- Dali Vivekanandan as Ray Ban
- Director: Krishna DK and Raj Nidimoru
- Producer: Anupam Mittal, Aditya Shastri
- Executive Producer: Pooja Desai
- Music: Ashu
- Sound Designer: Stephen Gomes
- Editor: Cheragh Todiwala
- Director of Photography: Rajeev Ravi
- Story & Screenplay: Krishna DK, Raj Nidimoru and Sita Menon
- Dialogues: Raja Sen, Sita Menon and Chintan Gandhi
The movie received positive reviews from the press.
- Rediff.com gave the film 4 stars and told the viewers that "they will leave the theater laughing and entertained."
- Indiatimes.com gave it 3.5 stars.
- Nikhat Kazmi of the Times Of India gave the movie 3 out of 5 stars stating that it has "a tangy, tongue-in-cheek tenor that ensures you never really lose the plot."
- Taran Adarsh said, "99 is smart, good looking and interesting, in parts. The film holds appeal for the youth and multiplex audiences".
- Real Bollywood: "Intricately woven", "Extremely entertaining" said "Director duo have done a fantastic job" (3.5 stars).
- Noyon Jyoti Parasara of AOL India gave 99 3 out of 5 and said "The characters are fed with lively and spontaneous dialogues that make you smile or even laugh every once in a while."
- Boxoffice.com said the "Bollywood flick should catch on with American audiences" and that "99 has potential to set new standard."
The film was released on 15 May 2009 worldwide with about 500 prints. 99 had a slow start on Friday with 10%-15%. Business picked as reports were mainly positive. The film was expected to find its patronage among the youth and the multiplex audiences at whom it is targeted.
|Soundtrack album by Ashutosh Pathak and Shamir Tandon|
|Released||17 April 2009|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The film's music received mixed reviews from critics. Indiatimes gave the soundtrack three stars out of four, saying the songs "What's Up", "Soch Mat Dobara", "Punjab Size" were average while praising "Kal Ki Tarah" and "Delhi Destiny". Bollywood Hungama's Joginder Tuteja gave the album two and a half stars out of five.
The track listing
|1.||"Delhi Destiny"||Raja Hassan||4:43|
|2.||"Soch Mat Dobara"||Bonnie Chakraborthy||3:05|
|4.||"Punjab Size"||Labh Jhanjua||3:50|
|5.||"Kal Ki Tarah"||Shaan||3:51|
|6.||"99 Theme"||Bonnie Chakraborthy||2:04|
|7.||"What's Up (Remix)"||DJ Whosane||3:31|
|8.||"Delhi Destiny (Remix)"||DJ Whosane||4:41|