89th Academy Awards
|89th Academy Awards|
|Date||February 26, 2017|
Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, U.S
Michael De Luca|
|TV in the United States|
The 89th Academy Awards ceremony, presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), will honor the best films of 2016 and will take place on February 26, 2017, at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles, 5:30 p.m. PST (8:30 p.m. EST). During the ceremony, AMPAS will present Academy Awards (commonly referred to as Oscars) in 24 categories. The ceremony, televised in the United States by ABC, will be produced by Michael De Luca and Jennifer Todd.
In related events, the Academy held its 8th Annual Governors Awards ceremony at the Grand Ballroom of the Hollywood and Highland Center on November 12, 2016. On February 11, 2017, in a ceremony at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills, California, the Academy Awards for Technical Achievement will be presented.
|Thursday, January 5, 2017||Nominations polls opens at 8:00 a.m. PST (05:00, 31 Dec. UTC) (11:00 a.m. EST)|
|Friday, January 13, 2017||Nominations polls close at 5:00 p.m. PST (01:00, 9 Jan. UTC) (8:00 p.m. EST)|
|Tuesday, January 24, 2017||Nominations announced at 5:30 a.m. PST (13:30 UTC) (8:30 a.m. EST) at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater|
|Monday, February 6, 2017||Nominees Luncheon|
|Saturday, February 11, 2017||Scientific and Technical Achievement Awards presentation|
|Monday, February 13, 2017||Final voting begins|
|Tuesday, February 21, 2017||Final polls close at 5:00 p.m. PST (01:00, 21 Feb. UTC) (8:00 p.m. EST)|
|Sunday, February 26, 2017||89th Annual Academy Awards presentation|
The Academy held its 8th Annual Governors Awards ceremony on November 12, 2016, during which the following awards were presented:
- Academy Honorary Awards
Due to the mixed reception and low ratings of the previous year's ceremony, producers David Hill and Reginald Hudlin declined to helm the upcoming festivities. Actor and comedian Chris Rock told Variety regarding if he'll return to host, "Someone else will do it." Although Rock expressed interest in producing the show saying, "Do they even have a producer yet? I’ll produce." In November 2016, AMPAS recruited Michael De Luca and Jennifer Todd as producers of the ceremony. "What a talented team,” AMPAS president Cheryl Boone Isaacs said in a press release announcing the decision, “Mike and Jennifer have a great working relationship and a tremendous love and respect of film, and will surely draw from their vast experience to create an exceptional and unforgettable event for movie fans everywhere."
- 74th Golden Globe Awards
- 70th British Academy Film Awards
- List of submissions to the 89th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Oscar 2017: Michael De Luca and Jennifer Todd confirmed to produce 89th Oscars". Oscars. November 4, 2016. Retrieved November 5, 2016.
- Coyle, Jake (November 4, 2016). "The Oscars finally have producers, host remains undecided". Washington Post. Retrieved November 5, 2016.
- Goldstein, Micheline (September 1, 2016). "Jackie Chan, Anne V. Coates, Lynn Stalmaster and Frederick Wisemen to receive Academy's 2016 Governs Awards". Oscars. Retrieved September 17, 2016.
- "Academy announces Jackie Chan, Anne V. Coates, Lynn Stalmaster and Frederick Wisemen will receive Governs awards". Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences. September 1, 2016. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- "Jackie Chan awarded honorary Oscar". BBC News. 2 September 2016. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- "Jackie Chan, Film Editor Anne V. Coates to Get Honorary Oscars". The Hollywood Reporter. September 1, 2016. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- "Governors Awards Honorees: Jackie Chan, Anne V Coates, Frederick Wiseman & Lynn Stalmaster". Deadline. September 1, 2016. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- "Jackie Chan, Frederick Wiseman to Receive Honorary Oscars". The Wrap. September 1, 2016. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- Feinberg, Scott (November 2, 2016). "Oscars: David Hill, Reginald Hudlin Not Returning as Producers (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 4, 2016.
- Littleton, Cynthia (October 29, 2016). "Chris Rock Weighs in on 2017 Oscars Host, Says Comics Should Appeal to People Who 'Look Like Them First'". Variety. Retrieved November 4, 2016.
- Birnbaum, Debra (November 4, 2016). "It's Official: Michael De Luca and Jennifer Todd to Produce 2017 Oscars". Variety. Retrieved November 4, 2016.
- "Michael De Luca and Jennifer Todd to Produce the 89th Oscars". Oscars. November 4, 2016. Retrieved November 4, 2016.
- Official websites
- Academy Awards official website
- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences official website
- Oscar's Channel at YouTube (run by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences)