51st Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment
|51st Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry "Chicago Legion"|
Illinois state flag
|Active||December 24, 1861 to September 25, 1865|
Battle of Island Number Ten|
Battle of Stone's River
Battle of Chickamauga
Battle of Resaca
Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
Siege of Atlanta
Battle of Jonesboro
Battle of Franklin
Battle of Nashville
The 51st Illinois Infantry was organized at Chicago, Illinois and mustered into Federal service on December 24, 1861.
The regiment was mustered out on September 25, 1865.
Total strength and casualties
- Colonel Gilbert W. Cumming - resigned on September 30, 1862.
- Colonel Luther P. Bradley - promoted brigadier general on July 30, 1864.
- Lieutenant Colonel Charles W. Davis - discharged June 30, 1865.
- Lieutenant Colonel James S. Boyd - mustered out with the regiment.
- List of Illinois Civil War Units
- Illinois in the American Civil War
- 51st Illinois Infantry: Letters, Diaries, History
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unilinf4.htm#51st The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/f&s/051-fs.htm Illinois in the Civil War website after Illinois Adjutant General's muster rolls