37th SS Volunteer Cavalry Division Lützow
|37th SS Volunteer Cavalry Division Lützow|
Insignia of the 37th SS Volunteer Cavalry Division Lützow
|Active||February - May, 1945|
37th SS Volunteer Cavalry Division Lützow was a German military unit of World War II. It was formed in February 1945, consisting of remnants of 8th SS Cavalry Division Florian Geyer and 22nd SS Volunteer Cavalry Division Maria Theresia, including former's SS Pionier Battalion 8, in addition to mostly 16- or 17-year-old German, Hungarian Volkdeutsche, and ethnic Hungarian recruits. The division was intended to have three cavalry regiments of two battalions each, but due to lack of men and equipment it could only field two understrength regiments as its main combat units.
The division saw action against Soviets as a part of 6. SS-Panzerarmee during the final weeks of war, before surrendering to Americans in Austria in May.
- SS-Standartenführer Waldemar Fegelein (February 1945 - March 1945)
- SS-Standartenführer Karl Gesele (March 1945 - May 1945)
Order of battle
- SS Cavalry Regiment 92
- SS Cavalry Regiment 93
- SS Cavalry Regiment 94
- SS Artillery Battalion 37 (two batteries with le.FH18 10,5 cm)
- SS Reconnaissance Battalion 37
- SS Panzerjäger Battalion 37 (one company equipped with Hetzer)
- SS Pionier Battalion 37
- SS Signals Company 37
- SS Medical Battalion 37
- SS Nachschub Troop 37
- Feldersatz Battalion 37
- Bishop, Chris. The Essential Vehicle Identification Guide - Waffen-SS Divisions 1939-1945, Amber Books Ltd. 2007, p 184.
- Wendal, Marcus. "37. SS-Freiwilligen-Kavallerie-Division Lützow". Axis History. Retrieved 2009-03-15.
- Fowler, Jeffrey T. Axis Cavalry in World War II. ISBN 1-84176-323-3.
- Trang, Charles. Division Florian Geyer. ISBN 2-84048-141-3.