Satellite image of Žirje
|Coordinates: HR 43°39′08″N 15°39′42″E / 43.652311°N 15.661636°E|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Žirje (pronounced [ʒîːrjɛ]; Italian: Zuri; Latin: Zurium/Surium) is an island and a settlement in the Croatian part of the Adriatic Sea. It is situated in the Šibenik archipelago, about 22 kilometres (14 miles) southwest of Šibenik, which makes it the most distant permanently inhabited island in the Šibenik archipelago. The island is composed of two limestone ridges between which is a fertile valley. Its area is 15.06 km2, and it has a population of 103 (2011 census). Its population is steadily decreasing (720 residents in 1953, 207 residents in 1981, and 124 residents in 2001).
Vegetation of the island is mainly composed of maquis shrubland, with some farm land in the middle of the island. Main industries are agriculture (grapes, olives, plums, figs and sour cherries) and fishing. The sea around Žirje is rich with fish. In 12th and 13th century the island was encircled by fortresses and walls and are a reminder of the Byzantine fortress from 6th century are situated at island.
The ferry port on the island connects it via the D128 route to Šibenik.
- "Population by Age and Sex, by Settlements, 2011 Census: Žirje". Census of Population, Households and Dwellings 2011. Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. December 2012.
- Žirje on adriagate.com
- (Croatian) "Žirje". General Encyclopedia of the Yugoslav Lexicographical Institute (in Croatian). 8. Zagreb: Yugoslav Lexicographical Institute. 1982.
- Duplančić Leder, Tea; Ujević, Tin; Čala, Mendi (June 2004). "Coastline lengths and areas of islands in the Croatian part of the Adriatic Sea determined from the topographic maps at the scale of 1 : 25 000" (PDF). Geoadria. Zadar. 9 (1): 5–32. Retrieved 2011-01-21.
- "STANOVNIŠTVO PREMA PRISUTNOSTI/ODSUTNOSTI U NASELJU POPISA, PO NASELJIMA, POPIS 2001.". Croatian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- (Croatian) First Croatian online peljar
- Žirje on croatiatouristcenter.com
- Žirje on adriatic-croatian.com