|Coordinates: 50°17′N 18°54′E / 50.283°N 18.900°ECoordinates: 50°17′N 18°54′E / 50.283°N 18.900°E|
|• President||Dawid Kostempski|
|• City||13.31 km2 (5.14 sq mi)|
|• Density||4,000/km2 (10,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Postal code||41-600 to 41-608|
|Area code(s)||+48 32|
Świętochłowice [ɕfjɛntɔxwɔˈvit͡sɛ] (German: Schwientochlowitz; Silesian: Śwjyntochlowicy) is a city in Silesia in southern Poland, near Katowice. The central district of the Upper Silesian Metropolitan Union - metropolis with the population of 2 million. Located in the Silesian Highlands, on the Rawa River (tributary of the Vistula).
It is situated in the Silesian Voivodeship since its formation in 1999, previously in Katowice Voivodeship, and before then, of the Autonomous Silesian Voivodeship. Świętochłowice is one of the cities of the 2.7 million conurbation - Katowice urban area and within a greater Silesian metropolitan area populated by about 5,294,000 people. The population of the city is 54,525 (2008).
The city is known since the 13th century, and received Magdeburg rights between the 13th and 14th century. In the 19th and first part of the 20th century the area rapidly industrialized (based on the numerous local resources, including coal and zinc). It was part of Germany until 1922 (although 51.9% of plebiscite voted to stay with Germany), then became part of Poland, in 1939 part of Germany again and in 1945 part of Poland. Świętochłowice was the site of the Zgoda labour camp.
Świętochłowice is situated the middle of a highly populated area of Upper Silesia and is part of the Upper Silesian Metropolitan Union, the largest urban center in Poland and one of the largest in Europe.
Świętochłowice has about 55,500 inhabitants. The city has the highest population density in Poland and one of the highest in Europe: about 4200 inhabitants per km². The population of the entire urban area is about 3.5 million.
Climate and soil
Świętochłowice is situated in Silesian-Krakowian climate-zone. The annual precipitation totals to about 700 mm (28 in). The wettest month is July and the driest February. The average temperature is approximately −2.5 °C (27 °F) in January and 18 °C (64 °F) in July.
Brunate and swamp soils predominate in Świętochłowice.
Świętochłowice has five administrative subdivisions:
- Piaśniki, Schlesiengrube
- Zgoda, Eintrachthütte
The most popular sport in Świętochłowice is motorcycle speedway. The Skałka stadium is located in the Centrum.
- Śląsk Świętochłowice - football, speedway
- Naprzód Lipiny - football
- Czarni Świętochłowice - football
Sportspeople of Świętochłowice in Olympic Games
- 1928 - Amsterdam
- football - Teodor Peterek
- gymnastics - Paweł Galus, Franiciszek Pampuch, Teofil Rost, Franciszek Tajstra
- 1936 - Berlin
- football - Hubert Gad, Teodor Piec, Teodor Peterek
- gymnastics - Klara Sierońska-Kostrzewa
- 1952 - Helsinki
- football - Ewald Cebula
- swimming - Gotfryd Gremlowski
- 1956 - Melbourne
- gymnastics - Małgorzata Błaszczyk-Wasilewska
- 1960 - Rome
- football - Roman Letner
- 1964 - Tokyo
- gymnastics - Gerda Bryłka-Krajciczek, Małgorzata Wilczek-Rogoń
- 1976 - Montreal
- fencing - Barbara Wysoczańska
- weightlifting - Leszek Skorupa
- 1976 - Innsbruck
- ice-hockey - Kordian Jajszczok
- 1980 - Moscow
- fencing - Barbara Wysoczańska
The President of Świętochłowice is Dawid Kostempski from Civic Platform. He was elected in 2010.
- Jacob Sonderling (1878–1964), German-American
- Arthur Goldstein (1887–1943), German journalist and communist politician
- Ewald Cebula - footballer
- Krzysztof Hanke - actor, satirist
- Salomon Morel - commandant of Zgoda labour camp
- Teodor Peterek - footballer
- Paweł Waloszek - motorcycle speedway rider
Twin towns - sister cities
Świętochłowice is twinned with:
- Heiloo, Netherlands
- Nový Jičín, Czech Republic
- Laa an der Thaya, Austria
- Tiszaújváros, Hungary
- Rimavská Sobota, Slovakia
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Świętochłowice.|
- Official web
- Jewish Community in Świętochłowice on Virtual Shtetl
- Świętochłowician discussion forum