Åkrahamn / Åkra
View of the village area
Location in Rogaland county
|Coordinates: 59°15′30″N 05°10′55″E / 59.25833°N 5.18194°ECoordinates: 59°15′30″N 05°10′55″E / 59.25833°N 5.18194°E|
|• Total||4.35 km2 (1.68 sq mi)|
|Elevation||6 m (20 ft)|
|• Density||1,778/km2 (4,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+01:00)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+02:00)|
|Post Code||4270 Åkrehamn|
Åkrehamn or Åkrahamn (commonly known as simply Åkra) is a small town in Karmøy municipality in Rogaland county, Norway. The town is located on the west side of the island of Karmøy in the traditional district of Haugaland. The town sits about 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) west of the town of Kopervik, about 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) north of the town of Skudeneshavn, and about 25 kilometres (16 mi) southwest of the town of Haugesund. The village of Veavågen lies immediately to the northeast of Åkrehamn.
The 4.35-square-kilometre (1,070-acre) town of Åkrehamn has a population (2014) of 7,736. This gives the town a population density of 1,778 inhabitants per square kilometre (4,600/sq mi). It is the second largest urban area in Karmøy, after the nearby town of Kopervik.
The village of Åkrehamn gained town status in 2002. Since it declared town status, Åkrehamn has blossomed and is now the second largest town in the municipality of Karmøy. The good economy of Norway has brought capital and investments to Åkrehamn, and in the last couple of years, the town has been expanded. Apartments and houses have been built and new fields of industry has been introduced.
The northern part of Åkrehamn now encompasses the old fishing village of Sevlandsvik. It is centered on the nicely protected harbour area called Mannes. The economy of this area is centered on fishing and some other small industries.
- Statistisk sentralbyrå (1 January 2014). "Urban settlements. Population and area, by municipality.".
- "Åkrehamn, Karmøy (Rogaland)" (in Norwegian). yr.no.
- Store norske leksikon. "Åkrehamn/Vedavågen" (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- Falkeid, Kolbein (1999). Haugalandet: Ferd i folk og natur. Wigestrand Forlag.
- "Saevelandsvik". Chaletino.com. Retrieved 2015-04-15.
- Store norske leksikon. "Sevlandsvik" (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2015-11-11.