IPFS Weekly 55
by Jenn Turner on 2019-08-20
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a new hypermedia distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the ecosystem in this weekly dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
Improving the IPFS Release Process
go-ipfs is introducing a new release cycle and process to ensure more reliable and frequent releases! Check out the IPFS blog for more details.
The IPFS/LibP2P Help Desk is coming to ETHBerlin!
To help developers quickly hop over hurdles and get back to building awesome hacks, ETHBerlin will have a dedicated IPFS/libp2p help desk available for hackers to visit during the hackathon.
go-ipfs 0.4.22 released 📣
You’re going to want to check out the recently released PATCH version of go-ipfs based on 0.4.21 containing some critical fixes.
IPFS in the wild
- Tupelo as it relates to IPLD and IPFS, Topper Bowers, 19 August 2019
- Berty team at IPFS Camp, Berty, 15 August 2019
- Benchmarking IPFS Gateways, Aadhi Manivannan, 13 August 2019
- The Responsibility of a Developer with regards to Climate Change, Matthias Wahl, 13 August 2019
- Decentralized Storage: Leading the Digital Storage Transformation, MemoLabs, 13 August 2019
- Is storing encrypted files on IPFS good enough? Michael Smolenski, 12 August 2019
- Will the next generation internet be built on blockchain technology? 12 August 2019
- I know IPFS, what’s the deal with Qri? 12 August 2019
- Ethereum Classic’s Amazing Kademlia System, Christian Seberino, Ph.D., 12 August 2019
- Towards an Interoperable Name Service Standard, Makoto Inoue, 15 July 2019
- How to Enable a .Eth Domain in Your Local Network, Makoto Inoue, 8 July 2019
- How to Host Your Dapp With IPFS+ENS and Access It Via EthDNS, Makoto Inoue, 21 June 2019
Updates and new releases
See the latest releases of IPFS tools and projects across the ecosystem.
- This is what’s coming for IPFS Cluster 0.11.0.
- Peergos v0.1.2 - Including upgrade to ipfs v0.4.22 and Amazon S3 datastore plugin
Open Positions working on IPFS
- React Native Developer, Berty, Paris, France
- Senior Backend Engineer, MXC Foundation gGmbH, Berlin, Germany
- Senior Golang Engineer, Textile, Remote
- Distributed Systems Technical Lead, IPFS, Protocol Labs, Remote
- IPFS Documentation & Technical Content Strategist, Protocol Labs, Remote
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- Introducing Pyramids! Load the page dynamically creating crypto key pairs! Their public parts can be uploaded to IPFS. The IPFS hashes can then be registered in a stellar transaction.
- go-ipfs-log – Go version of append-only log CRDT on IPFS
- Ambients Encoding Examples – Examples of computation abstractions using the Robust Ambients calculus
- TMFS: a IPFS concept design
- IPFS content distribution checker: a simple IPFS content distribution checker tool
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- 21-23 August 2019: DappCon Berlin: A global developer conference for Ethereum Dapps, Infrastructure, and token engineering, Berlin Germany.
- 22 August 2019: ProtoSchool Seattle is hosting an August Decentralized Web Meetup, details TBA! Seattle, WA (US).
- 23 August 2019: Decentralised Storage Summit is an in depth conference that will feature presentations and panels on topics such as file storage, databases, adoption and more. Berlin, Germany.
- 23-25 August 2019: ETHBerlinZwei is the second iteration of ETHBerlin, a hackathon, a culture festival, an educational event, a platform for hacktivism, and a community initiative to push the decentralized ecosystem forward. Berlin, Germany.
- 31 August 2019: ProtoSchool - Shanghai Chapter: Technical Salon Session 5: Protoshool Shanghai Chapter is a group of people passionate about the Decentralized Web and excited to learn, teach, and share ideas. Everyone is welcome! Shanghai, China.
- 4 September 2019: Paris P2P is a monthly meeting organized by and for the community of P2P and cryptography enthusiasts. Paris, France.
- 16 September 2019: Victoria Tech Meetup September 2019: sign up to attend once they’ve confirmed date and venue! Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- RESCHEDULED – 27-30 September 2019: Offline Camp Oregon had to be postponed, but it’s still happening! Hear how past campers describe this unique unconference retreat focused on the Offline First approach to web development and design.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, send us an email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.